The mystery of the insufficiently dark chamber
I finally solved the problems with “overlapping film during development” that I have been struggling with for a while.
It appeared as brighter triangular fields in some pictures, but not all in a batch.
I thought it was due to sheets coming lose in development and restricting the access of chemicals. But it was not so.
The problem is that my darkroom is insufficiently dark! When I last cut and loaded X-Ray film I started by cutting a large batch, and then I started loading holders. But the sheets got fogged while waiting in an irregular stack to be loaded. I still don’t know if it is the light that comes in through the gaps around the door, or if it is that the X-Ray film is a little bit sensitive to my safe-light, but that should be easy to check.
My apologies to my friends who had the patience to sit for me only to have their pictures ruined. All the pictures here were shot with my magnifying glass equipped Calumet rail camera. Notice how sharp and pretty Joel’s beard is, it was in the middle of the frame before cropping. His eyes are all blurred, they were closer to the edge, even if the focusing was done against them.