Roll 283. Moskva 5 after focusing adjustment.
I bought a Moskva 5 medium format rangefinder some time ago. It had some rangefinder problems when I got it, so it had been sitting on a shelf for a while. But during the X-Mas holidays I made an attempt at adjusting the rangefinder and focusing.
It was not very hard, the focusing ring around the front of the lens can be removed with a very small flat screwdriver. Once that is done the focusing can be adjusted to match the rangefinder. I used a candle as focusing target and a sheet of plastic cut from the lid of a box of candies as a focusing screen. Judging by my test shots on this roll I’m about five cm off now, instead of 30 cm, when at the close focusing extreme. For greater distances the fault will be invisible. And at the shortest, well, it is OK. Usable, especially if I stop down a few steps. And that would probably be needed anyway, the lens is not all that sharp fully open, but at f5.6 it becomes quite nice.
The next issue is that I get horizontal scratches along the full length of the film. It could be due to the 6×6 mask. We’ll see when I’ve shot another roll.
I wonder if the Shanghai factory reuses old film backing paper. I’ve had a few rolls come very wrinkly, already when they’re loaded. This roll even had a loose strip of torn paper. It fell out when I unloaded the camera. Luckily it had only affected one picture.