Summer camera project
Last year I built a camera on my vacation. This year I did the same, but on a larger scale.
After finding 300 sheets of 30×15 cm size Fuji HR-T X-ray film on EBay, and realizing that the 210mm f5.6 lens from my Crown Graphic would have coverage enough to let me expose the film without cutting it I decided to build a camera do just that.
The camera follows the same pattern as the last year’s camera. A rigid outer shell and a couple of fixed slots inside to get different distances between the film holder and the lens. I intend to fasten a sleeved bag to the top so that I can swap the film sheets in the field, but for the first test shots I made a simple lid.
I’m a terrible carpenter, to get the joints light proof I had to resort to taping them. The camera is made of pine and weighs just short of 6kg with the lens mounted. But it is possible to take pictures with it.
On the door handle to the left is the comb I used as a focusing target to get the spacers for the film holder right. Before the picture was resized for web it was easy to count the pins on the comb.
The somewhat soft image above is a small section of (the out of focus area of) the the picture shown below, it has been reduced in size for web use.
There is a crazy amount of information that can be fit into a negative this size. The scans were in the 500 mega pixel range before I scaled back to 600dpi scanning for more convenient 30 mega pixels.