I returned and spent another evening taking pictures of the acrobats I had joined for Roll 347.
I was thinking I could make some interesting pictures with the very wide 35mm lens on the Mamiya 645 Super. I did, but focusing through the lens in the poor light was very hard, next time I’ll just use the focusing scale on the lens itself.
For the most part the images came out a bit thin, but with nice detail in the florescent lights. Again I underexposed a bit, just like last time.
Rollei ATO 2.1 is not intended to be used for ordinary photography, but for the reproduction of text and drawings. Grey scales were not a priority, just black and white, with little in between. But it can be used for pictorial photography when coupled with an ordinary developer, like HC-110 which I have been using lately.
The local photography club hosted a photowalk around town and I had just gotten some Rollei ATO 2.1 in 120 format, so I thought I’d try it out in the Mamiya C220. I exposed it at ISO25, which was a bit optimistic, but I really wanted to try it right away. I have gotten better results at ISO 6 and ISO 12 in the past.
The pictures came out quite underexposed, but that was not all: The numbers from the backing paper are visible in the pictures. In the picture above there are some clear and visible 4s next to her shoulder, and some 2s to the right of her head.
The picture above was the best exposed one on the roll, and here it was easy to hide the issues by adjusting the contrast to let them fall into the shadows. But just being a bright part of the image does not necessarily hide the numbers, in the picture below there are some dots visible on the bricks in the lower left part of the frame.
The backing paper should not make an imprint on the film. If it can be seen something went wrong at the manufacturing stage. I have contacted the seller to see what they propose to do about the situation.
It would be nice if it could be resolved, the ATO 2.1 film has a very distinctive look, including very fine grain with lots of detail.
I stumbled across a Mamiya 645 Super that came with a Mamiya Sekor 35mm f3.5 lens. And as I have been wanting a really wide lens for a long time I picked it up.
The picture above is a crop to get the panoramic format, with 15 shots per roll of 120 film I think it is a nice option.
The camera didn’t come with a grip, so the ergonomics for hand held photography are not outstanding, but it is workable. And the lens lived up to my rather high expectations.
I went on one last business trip before wrapping up my last project with a customer that I’ve been working with on and off for over 12 years.
I packed the Mamiya C220 and a couple of rolls of Rollei Retro 400S and some Fomapan 100 Professional.
And while I waited at airports I took pictures.
And I managed to squeeze in a quick walk in the harbor between two meetings.
All in all it was a pleasant trip, and I got to shoot some film.
On my way home the flight was delayed, so I got an extra hour to wander the terminal. One nice thing with having the camera with you is that delayed flights become opportunities rather than disappointments.
The Mamiya C220 is a bit heavier and quite a bit larger than the Yashica C that I usually take on trips. A nicer camera for sure, but I think that the convenience of the Yashica C will win me over next time I pack my bag.
Christoffer, who has the blog U Shall Paint!, came by last Sunday. He brought some miniature monsters for wargaming, and we spent the afternoon experimenting with photography and light painting.
I made six exposures on X-Ray film, and these two were the ones that came out the best. In the picture below I used the fog-effect I had tried earlier. Now combined with a long snoot on a flashlight to paint something like a pillar of light around the main piece in the setup.
In general the negatives were even more scratched that usual, the cloning tool in Photoshop was used a lot to get these clean results.